Friday, October 30, 2009

An Enlightening Cake


Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy the people I work with. They are incredible people and very supportive of my cakes. As a matter of fact when walking by Christy's office the other day I heard a, "...well she is walking by my office right now..." and I must admit that I looked around to see who she was talking about and didn't see anyone else, but yet my brilliant self still did not take the clue that she might be talking about me until she called my name. At that point I was thinking to myself, oh oh did I volunteer Christy for something I forgot to warn her about??? Alas I could not think of a thing. Christy must have read my mind from looking at my face and just laughed. Then she explained that she had gotten off the phone with a friend that had enjoyed the cake I had made for her daughter's college graduation and was wondering if I could make them and scary cake for Halloween. Although we were both wondering what the definition of scary was in this case (ugly witch, nasty headstone or something really bloody and gory) I agreed and she said she would get more details.

Not long after she said a simple Halloween sheet cake would be fine that said Happy Halloween Colton & Collin. Everyone who knows me knows that a simple sheet cake is not in my vocabulary. I asked if I could do something a little more fun and she said sure go for it and further explained that the person ordering it really wanted cake and was getting it for herself and her sons.

So I did my very favorite thing and used a cake pan I had not used before (I really wanted to do this cake pan because unlike the others the pan is iridescent orange-and really neat looking) that looked like a Jack-O-Lantern. I made a yellow butter cake which seems to be the most popular of all. I decorated it in orange, and yellow with a green stem and black eyes and writing. I must admit writing on this cake was a little difficult. I had actually thought about writing on the sides but every child deserves to have his or her name on the top not the sides so I ventured on. I thought it made a very happy Halloween cake and one that I might get to make again in the future.

No comments: