Sunday, March 28, 2010

Flipping Out Over this Birthday


I love a special request for a cake and this one didn't flip me out but it did let me have all sorts of fun. I have had the privilege of creating several cakes for this young lady. Hannah turned twelve this month and I happen to know she would sleep in her flip-flops if possible. So when her mother requested a flip flop cake it seemed perfectly normal.

This cake came from the Betty Crocker web site. There you find instructions on size, baking and even a template that you can print out to create the flip-flops. The only change was to make sure flowers were edible (not fabric or plastic) and fruit roll ups and candy could be replaced with icing (after all there really isn't such a thing as too much icing). To keep with the theme I used licorice for the straps but bedazzled them with icing balls to keep with the color scheme of the cake.

I understand the cake was a hit with the tweens who attended the party and the birthday girl flipped, which is always a relief. After all we wouldn't want it to be a flop.

No comments: