Monday, August 22, 2011

Talk about being a HAM

As you know most of my cakes have stories behind them and that is one of the things I find so interesting about making some of these. However, very rarely do I share those stories outside of this blog. This cake however was different. One of my day job co-workers, let's call her Ava, is moving forth to greener professional pastures (in other words she has a new job). Of course, being the wonderful and humble staff that we are we had a little going away social for her. The sunshine committee (that is what we call the group who plans these events) asked if I would make a cake. Like I would ever turn down the opportunity to make a cake. I asked if there was a theme, color, something that everyone thought would be appropriate and they said no they were leaving it up to me (you would think after all of these years they would know better).
So this morning when she said, "I really appreciate this but I have one question. Why a pig?" I couldn't help but grin. I said several suggestions came up including high heels, a horse, coffee, things that represented small portions of you but I did not think captured your essence. Instead the pig was chosen because you were brave and not only wore the Fairweather costume at the fair but because you will always be remembered for telling people around here that they were a hot mess. More recently we believed the moniker of HAM fit Ava, and although I can not spell out what HAM stands for, because this is a family blog, I can say the H stands for hot and the M stands for mess. Ava would not tell everyone what HAM stood for but had to agree the logic for this cake was sound.
It did not take long for us to cut into the cake and get down to some sweet eating. There were a few squeals and maybe some tails curling as they ate the cake and enjoyed our last day with our HAM of a co-worker. We wish Ava all the best in her new position.

No comments: