Sunday, February 12, 2012

Rocking this Candy

I have always wanted to make candy, specifically rock candy. I have tried off and on through the years and have never been successful at this venture. Thanks to my new found favorite website, Pinterest, I discovered directions that seemed a little too good to be true to make rock candy in a week. I must say the week part was a little too good to be true, but the rest worked like a charm.

Before you start take bamboo skewers and get them wet. Role them in sugar and let the sugar dry on the stick (this will be the starter for your rock candy). As those dry its time to move to the stove top and a heavy duty saucepan. Essentially the plan is to start with equal parts of water and sugar, I think I did three cups of each. You heat the water on the stove top and start stirring. When the sugar dissolves you continue to add more to have a ratio of at least 2 to 1, or 3 to 1, sugar to water. I had 8 cups of sugar to three cups of water by the time I got done.

I let it cool for a few minutes and poured the mixture into glasses. I used icing gels to color each glass (you can also add flavorings at this time). I took a bamboo skewer and placed one in each glass without letting it touch the sides or bottom. I used a clothes pin across the top of the glass to balance the skewer. If the stick touches the bottom or sides this will not work correctly. I placed the glasses in a window sill and waited.

I have to say anytime you are making hard candy the weather and location (temperature and humidity) can make a difference in what you are doing. This took me about three weeks rather than one, although I did see growth after one week, I wanted more and was willing to be patient. There was build up on the bottom and side of the glass when I got done. A little hot water and it dissolved very easily. This would be a great thing to make with kids, and helps teaches patience. It would also make a great science project to show crystallization. Just a thought for educational reasons on making this sweet treat.

No comments: