Sunday, November 23, 2008

Almost Grown Up Cake


My friend Dillon turned 11 recently. What you need to know about Dillon is that he would have made a great guest on Art Linkletter's show "Kids Say the Darnedest Things". Sometimes the truest and boldest things can come out of his mouth so when he mother came to me to ask me about a cake and was laughing I knew this would be good. She said when discussing his birthday there was the usual choice of Chuckie Cheese (as with many boys he is a video game guru) on the table, or a movie but this year Dillon wanted something different, he wanted to go with a friend to play laser tag! He also informed his mom that he wanted a cake but he was too big for those cartoon superheros and little kids games. He wanted something more grown up. He wanted a motorcycle cake! A little while later he said he wanted a motorcycle cake that was red. Then a little while later he came back and said it would be more grown up and cool if it was red with flames. After that he said the motorcycle needed to have his favorite color green on it too. As she was giving me the color schemes all I could think of was that the motorcycles are mostly black and grey (tires and chrome). The seat, tank, and fenders are often colorful but if I used all of his colors this was going to look like a Christmas Tree on wheels (adults are often limited in their thinking) but I agreed to all the colors and would do my best with the flames. So when designing his cake I made a green background, red seat with flames on the tank (unfortunately it is hard to see the flames with the tank being so small) and his nickname (D.J.) on the license plate. When Dillon saw the cake his eyes lit up and he said, "look a motorcycle!" His mom said he didn't want to wait when he got home he asked if he could go ahead and cut it. He also said he couldn't wait until he got big enough to get his own, real, motorcycle. I just wonder, if he gets one, if it will be as colorful?

No comments: