Sunday, November 2, 2008

What we are all about


I love baking. Cakes, cupcakes, cookies, cheesecakes, anything that can be mixed up and baked I love making. You could say it is my stress reliever. For years I baked delicious items, but as so often is the case, they were ugly, unappetizing to the eye. So I took a class on cake decorating at the local community college and voila, my cakes were transformed. At first I was making cakes and giving them away for the practice but the more cakes I gave away the faster I realized I was going to have to charge or go bankrupt in my hobby that was supposed to relieve stress.

Now I make cakes for anyone who would like one of my cakes. The thing I like most is that each cake has it's own story. The people I make cakes for are a close knit group. Not a stranger in the batch. I make cakes for people I work with, their families, the people invited to their parties. It is a personal reference that puts me in touch with the people I am creating for which allows me to get to know them and hopefully what they would like.

As this blog goes on I hope to share not only the cakes I make but the stories that go with them. Because you see I may make 20 cakes that look alike, but the story is never the same. So with the permission of my clients I hope to share their cakes and stories with you as this creative process and hobby business continue.

To see some of the past creations just click here. You may notice that all of my cakes are made with icing. That is because I have one guiding principal when making a cake. It may not be perfect but when it goes in your mouth it will taste like a moist, sweet, homemade cake. What good is a pretty cake if it tastes like chalk? I do not use fondant, even on wedding cakes. I do not want to sacrifice taste for looks. So if you are looking for the perfect cake I am probably not the baker you want., If you are looking for a cake that people will ask for more of and where you got it...then I am the baker you need.

To contact me about a cake please feel free to e-mail me at CustomCake4You@aol.com

No comments: