Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's Beginning to Feel a lot like Christmas....


In case you haven't figured it out it is very rare for me to say no to cake. Not just because I have issues in trying to please everyone but also because I love to bake cakes. So when one of my co-workers, let's call her Aggie, asked me to bake a cake for a church function how could I resist? Last year, you may remember, I made a cake to celebrate Jesus's birthday. This year we did something a little more in the holiday spirit but still with a religious story (or should I say fable) surrounding it, and made a candy cane cake.
The fable of the candy cane talks about an Indiana candy maker who wanted to make something special to honor Christ's Birthday and made this candy white for his purity, red drops (or strips) stand for the blood he shed, and it is in the shape of a J to represent his name. Although historians have proven the story to be inaccurate, it is Christmas so why not believe?
So in the spirit of the holiday and having faith and believing, I set out to make this cake. It is a yellow butter cake, actually two to make sure we had enough to feed everyone at the church. The candy cane cake is on top of a sheet cake. They candy cane is traditional with red and white strips and if you smell hard enough you would even swear you can smell the peppermint flavoring traditional with all candy canes. When I delivered the cake everyone seemed please and ready for the annual church celebration. I must say the decor was festive with Santa's from Aggie's personal collection scattered everywhere. I know they had a great time and those children left full of faith and belief in the real meaning of the holiday.

No comments: