Monday, November 29, 2010

Not Exactly the Same Cake


The day after my previous post I attended the Holly Days Fair in Fayetteville, NC. This is an annual tradition for me. The Holly Days fair is an event put together by the Junior Service league and is their major fundraiser to support nonprofit organizations in Cumberland County. It is a collection of crafts, speciality items, food, and so much more. When I walked in the door the first vendor caught my eye with the N.C. State cake pan hanging on the outside of their space. The same cake pan I had been looking for for my last cake. I immediately purchased it knowing that there would be another opportunity to use it.

Before the month ended the opportunity presented itself. Our Interim County Director was leaving us as our new one got ready to step into place at the beginning of the month. We had a team work retreat planned for the his last day and we decided to take an hour or so to turn this into a farewell and thank you. Thus there is a need for a cake.

Now not only does he work for NCSU but he also is an alum. He is quite the fan of the university so it seemed fitting to create a NCSU cake with my new pan. I baked a butter cake with traditional decorators icing. The colors are NCSU colors and it was just the right size for everyone to have a slice. He seemed thrilled with his goodbye cake, but not as thrilled as we were with his imprint that he left on us during his seven months as our Interim.

No comments: