Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Birthday that is Candy Apple Red


I love people who plan ahead, even if I don't. I am one of those people whose ideas come to them at midnight or in the shower, never a week in advance. One of my co-workers, let's call her Denese, is very organized and plans ahead like no one's business. That is why when she asked me to create a cake for her Husband's 60th birthday she asked about a month in advance to make sure I could do it. Then she gave me time to be creative. We know her husband, let's call him Tommy, loves his cars. Cars, trucks, he loves his vehicles. However the most spectacular idea had not come to me yet. A week before the cake Denese brought me a photo album that Tommy keeps in his glove compartment. It has photos of all of his vehicles. We also went through the cake photo album and she really liked the race car. That is when the idea began to take shape.
I baked the race car cake. However this would not be the traditional race car. It was decorated with different elements from his different vehicles. To mimic his first car it was decorated Candy Apple Red (I checked with an expert on this color) with what is supposed to be a black leather top. The wheels are from a Ford truck. The number of course represents the age so we know which birthday it is. The checkered flag, well how could I not have a checkered flag on there for the race fan.
When Denese and Tommy arrived to pick up the cake the look on his face was spectacular. I don't think he could have been any more surprised or excited about the cake. I understand that the cake did not quite make it through the holiday weekend, but the photo will last forever.

No comments: