Saturday, May 14, 2011

Baby K

There are certain things you automatically think of when you think baby; diapers, carriages, cribs, stuffed animals, pacifiers, rattles and of course bottles. So when asked to make a surprise cake, for a not so surprise shower a bottle (yes, baby bottle) definitely came to mind.
This is baby number three for this family to be. The mother, let's call her Stacie, has a very bubbly personality and is definitely a pink and green kind of person. Mom and Dad are already aware that this baby will be a girl. She will come into a family with two big sisters (pray for dad in a house full of women). So when I got the text message (honest to goodness it was a text message order) for a cake I was told I could be as creative as I wanted. The only instructions were that the cake feed 50 and it involved pink and green.
Immediately I thought of the baby bottle and got to work. I baked a butter yellow cake (since so many groups these days have people who don't like chocolate). Then it was time to get creative. I thought about making the bottle itself pink or green but thought that might get a little weird with people thinking there was nuclear milk or formula in the bottle so I went with the light touch on the colors. Since they are having another girl I made the top of the bottle pink and put green outlines on the bottle. I was not sure about what to put on the cake, especially since a name has not yet been decided on, to my knowledge. However, thanks to some recent Facebook postings and conversations with Stacie I know they are looking at the baby's name starting with a K. So right now she is Baby K to everyone until her name is announced and we are all waiting in anticipation for the big event.
I understand the shower was a wonderful event with everything draped in pink and green. I also heard there was just the right amount of cake for all. As one of my cake orderers (texters) texted back to me, it was AWESOME!

No comments: