Monday, November 30, 2009

Arghhhh! It's Birthday Time Me Maties!


Let me start by saying I often get interesting cake requests. Some of which I can do, some of which I can do some version of, some of which I can't do a darn thing with. This cake was sort of a compromise cake. Mom had called me, let's call her Jane, and asked if I could do a pirate ship cake. I thought no problem! I have a new cake pan with pirates, and it is very cute. Then Jane added the part that it was for her son's birthday. His 18th birthday. Cute and 18 don't go together. Especially when your son makes his own video games and can give you the background and history to almost every Manga character every created. Jane said his new thing was all about pirates. I said I would think of something. Now I do have a flag cake pan and could have done a pirate flag. That just seemed a little predictable. So I decided all pirates must have a sword. However there is not set cake pan for that so I was relegated to carve the cake.

Carving cake is always an interesting process. Like stone, marble or some type of hard object if you chip away too much you can't go back and replace it. However unlike those hard substances, cake tends to get crummy when you carve it. I don't mean as in crummy tasting, but cake crumbs everywhere. That can lead to a very messy decorating job. In this case with a chocolate fudge cake, it could be very very messy. I baked a 12x8 cake and carved from there. First the blade then the handle. Decorating was a little tricky but with two shades of grey a steel blade was born and I made it as ornate a sword as any pirate might have stolen. Added the birthday boy's name down the center and voila-a pirate sword cake.

I was informed that mom needed her own sword to fight off the masses until the cake was served a couple of days latter. However once it was cut...it was apparently gone. True to the pirate way of life.

1 comment:

kool_kids said...

Thanks for an awesome cake. Everyone enjoyed it. Once again, your cake was a hit w/ my crew. Thanks matey!