Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Polka-Dotted Poka-Dot


Do I enjoy what I do for a living!!! One of the main reasons is because I work with this incredible group of people. For example, one of my co-workers, let's call her Janice, was debating about getting her daughter a cake for her birthday. That doesn't sound good...let me back up a second and better explain this situation. This daughter (she has two) usually has really big birthday parties. As a matter of fact I think one of her previous cakes, for a blow out bash is on our blog. Anyhow this year she decided not to have a big party. Instead she had a few items she wanted for her birthday and she and her mother went shopping and purchased all of her gifts in advance. Being the wonderful mother Janice is, she couldn't let the big day go by without any recognition. She fretted back and forth, because she had told her daughter that by making the decision for gifts not a party there would not be a party. Of course you want to stick to your guns...but how can you not recognize the day itself?

A couple of days before Janice asked if I could do a cake for the birthday, nothing big just something for the family to celebrate. She couldn't bear the thought of her child not having some type of recognition the day of. So we talked about what would be a fun cake and we came up with the idea of the polka-dotted polka dot. Bright colors were my instructions and I went to it. I made a marble cake and did my best to round it out into a polka dotted shape. Janice seemed thrilled. So thrilled that she took it to gymnastics practice along with some mini cupcakes that she decorated around the bottom with. It wasn't long after that I got a text message that the cake was a big hit.

After I was told that although the girls enjoyed the cake there was still some left over...but there wasn't anymore. I am thinking it went home and was promptly devoured there. Hmmmmm...got to love a polka-dotted polka dot.

No comments: