Tuesday, October 11, 2011

On a Musical Note

We have all sung Happy Birthday to someone in our lives or had it sung to us on the important occasion of celebrating our day of birth. Although we usually don't have musical accompaniment this cake recipient really should have. One of my co-workers, let's call her Aggie, approached me about making a birthday cake for her husband, let's call him Bobby. She was not sure what to make but knew it needed to feed 15-20 people who would be present for his surprise party. That's right a surprise party. No pressure here.


The few details I received about the party was that it would be held at church after bible study. Therefore the cake needed to fit within the context of his church life, which really would not be hard. Not only does he lead several activities at church he is also a self taught musician. Although he plays several instruments the guitar, I believe, is his favorite. So making a guitar cake seemed appropriate. When I asked about making it like his, Aggie told me just to go ahead an make one not to worry about it looking like his. I think that had more to do with the fact that we were on a time crunch and trying to get an image of the guitar he uses would blow the surprise. So I made a generic guitar and delivered it to his wife so she could surprise him. When the time came he walked in and nearly fell backwards as everyone jumped up to say happy birthday. I understand there was only a fret left when they got done. For a baker and musician alike that is the highest form of praise.

No comments: