Friday, October 28, 2011

Witchy Birthday

This cake request made me ask lots of questions. One of the people who attended the leadership academy enjoyed the cake so much she asked if I could make a birthday cake for her sister. I responded of course and gave her my contact information. She called and asked if I could make a wicked witch cake. I said yes, but thought she had originally suggested a birthday cake, but I did not question it because the customer is always right. On a subsequent call the customer told me that it was a birthday cake for her sister. This time I had to ask, "You wanted me to make a wicked witch cake right?"



"Oh, yes her birthday is on Halloween and she will love it. The uglier the better." So who am I to argue? The cake needed to feed about 30 people which took away my normal forms of wicked witch cakes because they feed 10-20 people, so it was time to get creative. I poured over my Wilton Cake books and came up with a possible solution. Using a paisley cake pan they had made a witch cake. Now this cake, in the book, was also decorated with fondant. For those of you who know me, you know that it is my personal preference not to decorate with fondant. That means I had to get creative and adapt this to icing. Ha Ha Ha! Actually she didn't turn out too bad, with lots of green icing for the face, icing nose and warts, and some really stringy purple hair. I did add a "Happy Birthday" to the band that went across the orange belt that ran around her witch's hat.


The nerves hit when pick up time came. I was still not sure if I had gone over board or if I had not done enough. With something like this and a new customer you never know. When she and her son came to pick it up he said "Woah! That is ugly!" She smiled and I knew that we were good to go! Later she reported that the cake was a big hit and there was more than enough to feed everyone. Most importantly she said her sister loved it!

No comments: